Welcome to my Blog!

Welcome to my Blog!


Saturday, March 14, 2015

Blog Assignment - “Communication Experiment of a television show I do not normally watch.”


 "Modern Family “Valentine’s Day 4:  Twisted Sister”

Watch the show with the sound turned off. 

While many gestures, such as smiles throughout the television program, the meaning of the actors were entirely different without the sound.  For example, the three neighbors seem to be very close and appear to be friendly while communicating together.  In fact, they looked be helpful to one another, have fun together be giving hugs, expressing a sense of caring toward each other.  Finally, their nonverbal behavior did show there was a problem during the program.  For example, one actor began to take his head and hold his head and crossing his arms with an irritated expression on his face. 


Now, watch the show with the sound turned on.

In either case sound on or sound off, the television program primary purpose helped me to interpret the understanding.  The writer presented information with the most different outcome with the use of words.  For instance, the three families were comforting each other about issues in their marriage.  There were plans for a special Valentine’s Day trip gone wrong. It was several different issues going on with each family.  My assumptions about the characters and plots were entirely wrong.  I assumed life was pleasant, but it was so much deceit my expectations of the show were totally off because of a lot of deception.   I believe my assumptions would have been more correct if I had watched a show that I knew well.


Reference

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    I know this show well and can't imagine what it may have been like without the words because of all the sarcasm and masking if you did not know the characters. Just the fact that you mistook them for neighbors rather than relatives made the smiles and hugs take on different meaning because of different context.
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee, so are they living under the same roof as family?

    ReplyDelete